Linda Stein Gold, MD
- Optimal antibiotic dosing and duration is not clear based on the literature. Data suggests that minocycline efficacy is not increased by increasing dose, only adverse effects are increased.
- There appears to be a dose response curve for doxycycline.
- “Short contact” benzoyl peroxide is appears to be more efficacious for decreasing p acnes on the trunk than benzoyl peroxide “wash”.
- Diet does seem to influence acne. Low glycemic index diets and avoidance of skim milk may improve acne.
- The current fad of coconut oil has no scientific studies in acne showing efficacy. In-vitro and animal studies suggest an effect on inflammation and p. acnes.