Victoria Lazareth, MA, MSN, NP-C, DCNP
What are the key takeaway points with regards to surgery?
- Anticipate persistent ooze with NSAIDS;
- Anticipate aggressive lesions in OTRs & CLL patients;
- Prep surgical field much wider than anticipated;
- HibiClens is potentially ototoxic and occulotoxic; consider iodine prep;
- Increase patient comfort by injecting buffered lidocaine intradermally first, then injecting dermal tissue;
- Beware of high-risk sites (temple, jaw, lateral neck);
- Patients will lose/ forget/ ignore wound care instructions; plan accordingly;
- Provider will lose a sample/ forget to communicate a result/ ignore a surgical complication at some point; prepare accordingly.