https://mauiderm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Webster-Photo.jpg 379 323 Maui Derm News https://mauiderm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MD-WebLogo.jpg Maui Derm News2015-01-28 07:32:032015-01-28 07:44:19Acne and Rosacea: Clinical Pearls
Guy Webster, MD, PhD
What you need to know about treating acne and rosacea…
- Isotretinoin absorption is very food dependent. An empty stomach causes a nearly 50% reduction in blood level.
- Antibiotic resistance has made macrolides useless in acne.
- Limiting antibiotic usage is critical for preserving antibiotic sensitivity.
- Use of topical retinoids early in acne therapy will allow withdrawal of antibiotics after a few months in many patients.
- Spironolactone and isotretinoin are two alternatives to antibiotics in severe acne.