https://mauiderm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MD-WebLogo.jpg 0 0 Maui Derm News https://mauiderm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MD-WebLogo.jpg Maui Derm News2015-02-10 04:27:542015-02-10 04:27:54TNF-a Inhibition and the Treatment of Hidradenitis Suppurativa: Clinical Pearls
Bruce Strober, MD, PhD
What’s new with the treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa and TNF-a inhibition? Dr Strober provides us with his clinical pearls…
- Both adalimumab and infliximab effectively treat many features of hidradenitis suppurativa.
- Adalimumab has been evaluated in the most rigorous studies ever conducted on a potential treatment for hidradenitis suppurativa.
- Adalimumab requires weekly dosing at 40 mg to be consistently effective.
- TNF-a levels are elevated in lesional and perilesional skin from patients with hidradenitis suppurativa.
- TNF-a inhibitors such as adalimumab and infliximab reduce not only lesion counts but also pain.
- AbbVie will seek FDA-approval for the treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa with adalimumab.
- Etanercept is not effective for the treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa.