https://mauiderm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Dr.-James-Treat-small.jpg 1262 1201 Maui Derm News https://mauiderm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MD-WebLogo.jpg Maui Derm News2015-10-28 08:15:422015-10-28 08:35:51Acne: Clinical Pearls
James Treat, MD
5 things to remember about treating acne in pediatric patients:
- Children who develop acne between the ages of 1 and 7 should have an endocrine workup
- When needed oral erythromicin can be used off-label as a systemic antibiotic in children under 8.
- Neonatal acne is in part caused by malassezia yeasts.
- Pre-adolescent acne can be treated similarly to adolescent acne except that doxycycline should not be used in children under 9 or those who have not developed their secondary teeth
- Isotretinoin MUST be given with food