https://mauiderm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MD-WebLogo.jpg 0 0 Maui Derm News https://mauiderm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MD-WebLogo.jpg Maui Derm News2015-01-27 09:25:472015-01-28 07:45:48Psoriasis Update–Current Therapies: Clinical Pearls
Bruce Strober, MD, PhD
Below are some important clinical pearls from Dr Strober’s update on psoriasis:
- Apremilast achieves PASI 75 in approximately 30% of patients after 16 weeks of therapy.
- Apremilast has FDA-approval for the treatment of both psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
- Apremilast also has been shown to provide improvement for nail and scalp psoriasis, and the reduction of pruritus.
- Apremilast is associated with a >5% weight loss in between 10-20% of treated patients.
- Data from the clinical trials of apremilast for the treatment of psoriasis do not convincingly support the contention that treatment with this drug causes depression and/or suicide.
- Multiple independent registry studies show ustekinumab having the best durability of use, with patients remaining on this drug longer than other biologic and systemic drugs.
- Rates of hospitalized infectious events are very low and fairly comparable between the various modalities, systemic and biologic, used to treat psoriasis.