Welcome to Maui Derm NP+PA Summer 2019
June 19-22, 2019 • Broadmoor Hotel • Colorado Springs, Colorado
Please join us at the 7th Annual Maui Derm NP+PA Summer 2019 meeting which will be held June 19-22, 2019 at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The Summer meeting is part of our “On the Road” program that brings Maui Derm NP+PA to inspired locations throughout the U.S. exclusively for Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants who already provide dermatologic healthcare.
This four-day meeting will feature a one day “Special Pre-Conference Day” held on June 19, 2019 followed by our three day meeting.
The highly interactive sessions are designed to validate your current practice patterns while updating your skills in a variety of areas. Based on last year’s requests, we have added topics such as Skin of Color, Cutaneous Manifestations of Internal Malignancies, and Hair Disorders with world-renowned expert, Dr Jerry Shapiro.
You will learn some alternate ways to handle common problems and emerging methods to tackle those tough cases. Our world-class faculty have geared their presentations toward providing pearls you can put to use your first day back at work! Disease pathogenesis, differential diagnoses, therapeutic mechanisms of action, treatment algorithms and outcome measures are incorporated into case based discussions. Ample time for Q&A has been built into the program. The exquisite setting of the Broadmoor Hotel offers a perfect setting for interactions with your colleagues, society leadership and speakers.
We encourage you to join us for what promises to be an exceptional educational opportunity and look forward to meeting you in Colorado Springs.
To increase Nurse Practitioners (NPs) and Physician Assistants (PAs) knowledge in areas of medical and cosmetic dermatology in order to enable the Nurse Practitioners (NPs) and Physician Assistants (PAs) to provide better care for their patients.
The Dermatology landscape is ever changing. There have been significant advances with regards to the diagnosis, management and treatment of both medical and cosmetic dermatologic conditions. NPs and PAs require targeted education regarding the proper management of these conditions.
This educational activity is designed for Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants who specialize in dermatology.
This 3-day meeting plus Special Pre-Conference Day, is a comprehensive CME activity that will utilize evidence-based data around the management of dermatologic conditions. Case studies, interactive discussion, and workshops will enhance the relevancy providing nurse practitioners and physician assistants with the ability to apply the data into clinical practice.
Overall Learning Objectives
- Review the pathogenesis of various dermatological conditions such as infectious diseases, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, acne vulgaris, rosacea, hidradenitis, contact dermatitis, atopic dermatitis, eczema, pruritus, actinic keratoses, melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer, pediatric skin disorders, connective tissue disorders, granulomatous disorders of the skin, autoimmune blistering diseases, hair and nail disorders, leg ulcers, oral lesions and life-threatening dermatoses such as TEN in order to accurately diagnose and improve upon the management of these conditions in patients
- Cite the mechanisms of action of various drugs, including topical and systemic therapies, as well as immunomodulatory agents that are commonly prescribed by the nurse practitioner and physician assistant practicing in dermatology and identify patients in your practice for whom these therapies may be appropriate
- Define appropriate outcome measures for the optimal follow-up of patients with dermatologic diseases as well as those receiving surgical and cosmetic procedures in order to set realistic expectations and maximize therapeutic outcomes
- Describe potential adverse events, safety, tolerance and resistance issues that may be related to the use of various drugs and therapies prescribed by clinicians in dermatology as well as therapeutic modalities including: topical and systemic corticosteroids, newer biologic agents, including TNF antagonists, T-cell and B-cell targeted therapies, anti-IL-12/23 therapies, IL-23 & IL-17 antibodies, systemic and topical PDE4 inhibitors, JAK inhibitors, anti-IgE and anti-IL 4 receptor, systemic retinoids, methotrexate, cyclosporine, neurokinin-1 receptor antagonists, systemic and topical acne/rosacea therapies, systemic hidradenitis suppuritiva therapies, oral and topical antibiotics, antifungals, anti-viral therapies, wound healing agents, antihistamines, calcineurin inhibitors, topical skin lightening agents, sunscreens, topical and systemic retinoids, 5-fluorouracil, imiquimod, ingenol mebutate, diclofenac, hedgehog pathway inhibitors, rituximab, BRAF/MEK inhibitors, CTLA-4 and PD-1/PDL-1 inhibitors, botulinum toxins, dermal filler agents including hyaluronic acid, collagen, polylactic acid, hydroxyappetite based fillers, and photodynamic therapy, and implement appropriate management strategies in order to reduce these adverse effects and optimize patient outcomes
- Assess the data around emerging and novel therapeutics for a variety of dermatologic diseases and develop treatment algorithms and management strategies for the optimal use of these therapies
- Discuss the importance of clinician/patient communication regarding benefit versus risk, patient satisfaction, and adherence when selecting therapies for patients
Based upon the evidence-based content delivered at the Maui Derm NP+PA Summer 2018 conference, the educational e-newsletters will cover the various topics delivered from the meeting. These monthly e-newsletters will be delivered electronically via an “opt-in” process to the dermatology community. The e-newsletters will include key talking points from the presentations, challenging cases including both diagnostic and management issues, embedded videos and podcasts, and downloadable slides. Topics to be included are:
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Cutaneous Oncology and Pigmented Lesions
- Cutaneous Surgery
- Infectious Disease
- New Drugs
- Cutaneous Immunology
- Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis
- Nail Disorders
- Contact Dermatitis
- Practice Enrichment
- Literature Review
- Connective Tissue Distorders
- Challenging Cases
- Disorders or Pigmentation
- Dermatology Coding & Billing
- Neuromodulators and Dermal Fillers
The Maui Derm NP+PA Therapeutic Forum is an online forum that discusses hot topics and challenging cases and allows for participants to view pictures and videos that accompany the case studies. Faculty will be available to discuss the cases and viewers will have an opportunity to pose challenging questions to the faculty. All topics and case studies will be based upon the evidence-based medicine discussed at the live meeting. Online forums allow us to assess knowledge gaps and practice patterns and provide a means for future needs assessments.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Maui Derm NP+PA & NMG Meeting Management seeks to make this conference accessible to all. If you have a disability which might require special accommodations, please contact NMG Meeting Management at 831-595-0710 or email your needs to: email@example.com.