https://mauiderm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Zirwas-HeadShot-for-Maui-Derm.jpg 589 492 Maui Derm News https://mauiderm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/MD-WebLogo.jpg Maui Derm News2014-06-28 02:41:382014-06-28 02:41:38Dermatitis Overview: 2014
Matthew J. Zirwas, MD
Are you treating dermatitis? Dr Zirwas provides us with ten clinical pearls…
- The main goal in dermatitis patients is figuring out WHY they have dermatitis.
- Acute allergic contact dermatitis starts 1-3 days after exposure to the allergen and takes 1-3 weeks to go away.
- Chronic allergic contact dermatitis takes 3-6 months to go away.
- Hypoallergenic rubber gloves are not hypoallergenic. Hypoallergenic gloves include: vinyl gloves, Microtouch Nitra-Free, Dermaprene Ultra.
- Shampoo and conditioner are the main causes of eyelid dermatitis, both irritant and allergic.
- Atopic dermatitis is the combination of inadequate skin barrier and an immune system that was genetically primed to go in an allergic direction.
- Food avoidance and chelation do not work in adults.
- There are probiotics that work, but it is very specific – patients can’t just take any old probiotic.
- Seborrheic dermatitis is an inflammatory reaction to Malassezia yeast on the skin – treat by reducing amount of yeast and targeting the inflammation.
- Xerosis is too little water in the skin. Need to add water and prevent it from just evaporating away.